The Paris Mint, The Monnaie de Paris is one of the oldest French institutions. An official statement dating back to the time of Charles the Bald : the edict of Pitres (864) bears witness to this. To ensure better control over the minting premises, the emperor decided to limit the number of workshops to 10. Besides Rouen, Reims and Sens, there was also a workshop in Paris. This organisation was to break up according to the turmoil of history and power struggles.
The Monnaie de Paris was established successively : at the Palais de la Cité (City Palace), then on the right bank : in the Marais, at Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie, then rue de la Monnaie. Under Louis XV, the Mint was transferred to the left bank, to its current site, in the former Hotel de Conti (which had been Hotel de Nesle, de Nevers, de Guénégaud then de Conti).
The Hotel de la Monnaie is one of the most beautiful neo-classic monuments of the XVIIIth century. It is the work of the architect Jacques-Denis ANTOINE, to whom Louis XV entrusted the building from 1771 to 1775.
Over the past 2,000 years coins have been minted at a large number of mints throughout France, although being situated in the capital. the Paris Mint has always been the most important, and during the last century appears to have become the sole official French government mint.
To view all available Mint of Paris products, click on the category header below, or in the left-hand navigation.