The “Sailing Ships” coin series is devoted to the most impressive and recognizable sea sailing ships. The coins seek to depict their unique beauty, power and magnificence in a dynamic way. The first coin in the series was devoted to Sedov, known to be the biggest sailing ship in the world. The Sedov coin was issued in 2008 by the National Bank of the Republic of Belarus.
* Struck from 92.5% Silver
* Certificate of Authenticity
* Presentation Packaging
* Laser Hologram
* The 2009 Silver Dar Pomorza has a very limited mintage of only 25,000!
Obverse: In the upper part of the coin – the national emblem of the Republic of Belarus and an inscription: “РЭСПУБЛIКА БЕЛАРУСЬ” (Republic of Belarus). In the center, against the background of a nautical chart – a stylized image of a wind rose with laser hologram. Along the rim – year of issue: 2009 and the face value: 20 РУБЛЁЎ (20 rubles).
Reverse: In the center of the coin, against the background of a marine landscape – a stylized image of the famous Polish sailing ship called “Dar Pomorza”. On the left – in the bottom part: characteristic modern architecture of Gdynia; in the upper part: an image of the ship viewed from the side, diminished in size. In the bottom part of the coin – an inscription: “DAR POMORZA”.
Designer: Dobrochna Surajewska
“Dar Pomorza”, called a “White frigate” ("Biała Fregata"), was built in 1909 in Blohm & Voss dockyard in Hamburg as a training ship for the German merchant navy. After the I World War, the ship was brought by the French to the port of Saint Nazaire, where she was to replace the French training ship “Richelieu”. Unexpectedly, however, in 1927 the frigate became property of Baron de Foreste.
In 1929 the ship was bought by the Polish Pomeranian Committee of the National Navy for money collected from private donations. The frigate was then renamed as “Dar Pomorza” (meaning a “gift of Pomerania”) in commemoration of the generousness of the Pomeranian community. The ship was passed on to the Polish Naval Academy and became the second, after the “Lwów” sailing ship, “cradle of Polish navigators.” In the course of 51 years of service for the Polish Merchant Navy “Dar Pomorza” undertook 102 training voyages, covering half a million nautical miles. 13,384 students of the Naval Academy were trained on board the ship.
On 4 August 1982 “Dar Pomorza” was decommissioned and replaced by “Dar Młodzieży” (a “gift of the youth”).
On 16 November 1982 “Dar Pomorza” was passed to the Polish Maritime Museum in Gdańsk and is now a museum ship.
Call 1-888-726-5558 to place your order by phone and receive discounts when you pay by check or bank wire.